Sunday, February 10, 2008

Has it really been two months since I posted? What a slug I've been! And, in the immortal words of the Tin Man, "I'm afraid I'm a little rusty yet!"

But here goes - I'll catch you up on the Lenten plan:

For church, we're doing a series on the Lord's prayer. Today was "Our Father" and I paired that phrase with Luke 15 - the story of the Prodigal Father. When we say, "Our Father" - this is the "father figure" we should have in mind. This is Jesus' portrait of the Father in heaven.

I love that story, and find it so powerful! And I'll tell you where I felt the Holy Spirit moving in my heart today: When the Father tries to reconcile the two sons. During the Prelude, I looked around at the congregation and thought how we are all brothers and sisters of the same family. And how God loves us all, and is so glad to see us all sitting down together. I had to close my eyes and bow my head so as not to cry at the wonder of it.

Next week we're going to look at "Thy Kingdom Come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." I think, right now, I'm going to pair that with the other story of the man with two sons. The one in Matthew 21: 28-32. Where Jesus asks, "Which one did the will of his father?"
But there are lots of other good "kingdom coming" stories.

What's your favorite parable or Jesus teaching about the Kingdom?

2 comments:

Nancy Holland said...

WELCOME BACK!!
I've missed reading what's going on in your mind.

pastor cindy said...

Happy New Year, huh?
How's it going in "de"?
Are you voting today? It's the Potomac Primaries, right? Aren't you pretty near W, DC?

Jeanne told me that the governor of Kansas had a shirt that said "Barack-Chalk Jayhawk"

Isn't that great?