Monday, March 12, 2007

Fast Monday

Well, B. challenged me to fast from sunrise to sundown on Mondays. I'd never done that before, so I tried it. The first time it seemed really hard, because I wasn't sure I could do it. I was surprised how many times I got up from my desk and walked into the kitchen, just to take a little break. Once I even got the refrigerator door opened before I remembered that I wasn't going to eat. Funny, how mindless I can be. And when I got hungry, I'd think "If this gets worse and worse as the day wears on, I'm gonna be in trouble."
But the second time, having made it before, it seemed much easier. I was conscious of being hungry, but I knew that the hungry feeling wasn't going to get much worse, and that I could stand it. And . . . dinner was REALLY good. I was really thankful for the food when we bowed our heads to pray.
The first day, I prayed for help to meet the challenge.
The next time, my prayers were more about thankfulness.
This time, I was so busy running around all day, I was glad I didn't have to stop to eat.
I wonder what it will be like next time.

1 comment:

Kansan said...

I've always been impressed by anyone that could fast by choice. So far I haven't been tempted to do it, but I'll cheer for those of you that do!
I really enjoyed having the scripture for the sermon ahead of time last week. Now that's something I would enjoy continuing throughout the year! Any chance of that? You made it so much more hopeful than I thought it was going to be--Thanks!