Monday, December 3, 2012

Dec. 2

Sunday - the First Day of Advent.
Come, Lord Jesus. 

The sanctuary was full of nativity scenes, and the tree looked great.  Choir loft was full.  Communion, which I love.  Lighting the Advent candle.  (This might have been my favorite part of the service)

Speaker 1:       “The house lights go off and the footlights come on.
Even the chattiest stop chattering as they wait in darkness for the curtain to rise.
In the orchestra pit, the violin bows are poised.
The conductor has raised his baton.”  (Frederick Buechner) 
Speaker 2:           Advent is the name of that moment.

I preached a first person sermon as Joseph, just for the record.
We had some excitement when a member who shall remain nameless locked her granddaughter in the car as she was leaving.  I called roadside assistance and they said call 911.  So the firetruck came and they got the toddler out.  And she never even cried.  She's as tough as her mom and her grandmom and her great grandmom.  That's a line of fantastically strong women there.  
After church I went to Good Shepherd and made a presentation about Just Eating.  Then to the Elks for their annual memorial day service.  Home to the Christmas thing-y.  It went fine. We had more visitors this year, I think.   The Unity Choir Girls were lovely.  By the time it was over I put on my jammies and went to bed.  And now I'm up too early.  I love to sleep.  Why do I not do it more? 

No comments: