Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lucky in Lent

Lucky, Sean's sheltie, has come back to Philo. So has Sean.

But Sean is a busy guy - going to school, sports' practices, etc. I see a lot more of Lucky. Lucky just basically hangs around the house.

I wonder if taking care of Lucky can or should be undertaken as a Lenten discipline. It's not alms-giving, prayer or fasting. But, it is sort of a pebble-in-the-shoe type of experience. Lucky's presence is a very small tear in the tissue of the illusion I spin - the illusion that my life is under my control. So maybe he will prompt some spiritual growth this Lent. We'll see.

At the very least he is a good excuse to re-tell my favorite dog joke:

A dog looks at you and thinks to himself, "You feed me and give me water. You take me out and pet me. You care for me when I am sick. You love me. You must be God."

A cat looks at you and thinks to himself, "You feed me and give me water. You change my litter box and pet me. You care for me when I am sick. You love me. I must be God."

Lent is about remembering who is God.

No comments: