Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Funeral

This morning at 10 o'clock people gathered for Bob's funeral.  His brothers and their children and their children's children and lots of folks from the town.  I think it was how he would have wanted it.   I hope so.  Bob lived a completely different life than most everyone I know.  He remained single.  He made a lot of money, but didn't seem to enjoy spending it, and lived very frugally.  He lived in numbers and details that are not at all interesting to me.  But it is interesting to me that he was able to live in this community, make a substantial contribution to civic life (as a banker, village clerk and trustee of the cemetery) and be regarded with some (admittedly bemused) respect by just about everybody.  He was different.  Really different.  And yet a community I think of as very much interested in conformity accepted him and considered him one of their own.  Interesting.  Rest easy, sir. 

No comments: