Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shrove Tuesday

Forgive me.  
I'm so sorry.  
I confess that I did the wrong thing, 
said the wrong thing, 
thought something I had no business thinking.  
I meant to do the right thing, but I didn't.  
Or, more often, I didn't even intend to do any differently than I did.  
This is my fault.  
This is partly my fault.  
I'm so sorry.  
Forgive me.

In the Orthodox church there is a liturgy where the people come up to the front, and say to the priest.  "I am a sinner.  I need forgiveness."  And the priest says, "God forgives.  Forgive me."  And then people say it to one another. 
"Forgive me." 
"God forgives.  Forgive me." 
How cleansing and renewing would that be?  I am breathing easier just playing it in my mind.  Maybe that is the prayer for the day, "God forgives.  Forgive me."

No comments: